A Winning Formula in Independent Research
Independent pet food nutrition research has been undertaken by John R. Martinez, MBA, from the US, while studying for veterinary medical school. His study seeks to identify a simple approach for the average pet owner to assess dog foods. His report assesses 245 different dog foods and scores them based on:
- Foods that are wholesome and made with unprocessed ingredients.
- The health benefits of commercial dog foods.
- The parallels between dog food company practices and product formulation.
- Developing an initial screen for food selection by the average pet owner.
The higher the score, the better the product. The maximum possible score is 38.
- Of 245 dog foods, ZiwiPeak scored highest.
- Each of ZiwiPeak’s three formulas scored 38 – the maximum possible.
- Each formula score is detailed in the full report.
- Statistical results for the total sample of other dry (kibble) food and non-extruded dry foods:
- Median = 20
- Top quartile (75th percentile) = 23
Refer to the chart in the full report for the distribution of scores for the total sample.